In April 1959, within the planning framework of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), Rhein-Main Air Base became the main supply and support for the American military forces in Europe.
To meet its obligations as the primary arrival and departure point for all military personnel in Europe, the large Aerial Port Transit Facility was built in 1956. This modern billeting complex handled 36,000 people a month.
In the late 70's and early 80's 10,000 people lived and worked on Rhein-Main Air Base on over 920 acres of leased, host nation owned and easement property. 12,000 feet of runway was used to launch 750 aircraft monthly. The passenger terminal averaged 42,000 passengers monthly. The cargo function was the second largest in the Military Airlift Command, handling over 5,500 tons of cargo per month.
On December 8, 1978 a C-141 arrived at Rhein Main carrying 47 dependents being evacuated from Tehran, Iran. The Iranian revolution continued, and on November 4, 1979, the long ordeal for America began. Thousands of Iranians marched the streets of Tehran, and 500 broke through the gates of the American Embassy. For the next 14 months, Rhein-Main's Hostage working group would be on alert.
Rhein Main AB agencies and the 435th Aerial Port Squadron were proud of the role they played in the evacuation of personnel from Iran and the final release of the 52 hostages.
We can take great pride in our role as members of a team who became a part of history.
Exceptional leaders were one of the trademarks of the Aerial Port Squadron.
435th Aerial Port moves the Masses (News article from 1977 or 1978
Rhein Main Today Taken right before the base closed
Some of the information from article by Military Publications International, Vincent van Goghlaan 3, 3941 CK Doorn the Netherlands.
and Hosting by: